Saturday, January 5, 2008

Shifting priorities

Sometimes my life is all about shifting priorities from the top of the deck to the bottom or middle or wherever.  Family, work, bike, drawing, guitar, this new blogging thing, the NFL/NHL/MLB, friends, extended family, coaching, hangin', watching the Godfather for the umpteenth time, cooking, honing useless skills like juggling and pencil spinning and catching grapes in my mouth, satellite radio, finishing the addition drawings..the list goes on.

Depending on who you are, these cards have different positions in the deck, and depending on the state of mind at a particular time, these positions don't necessarily coincide with the wishes of those around me, much to their dismay.  In other words, if I want to justify the time I spend on two wheels,  I need to finish the addition drawings so that we can start tearing out some walls and enjoying a transformation of living space.

For some reason I can't seem to move past the design stage, as it's done in my head and mostly drawn.  This is where this shift needs to happen, as finishing the permit drawings are the next step and lining up subs soon follows.  Once it gets started I think it will roll.  For a while my office was plastered with trace sketches of plans and elevations and sections as I worked through the design, though Mrs. Frites astutely pointed out that these were being replaced little by little with my race numbers from the 'cross season, an obvious indication of where my priorities have been.

It's time to get back to the drawing board.  Literally.

 

No comments: