Monday, January 21, 2008

The footlocker

As I pulled the van out of the driveway this morning, it was clear that something wasn't right.  The idle was rough, the engined shut down, the brakes were stiff, and the check engine light was on.  Time to go to the shop with this...

Since I didn't have wheels to get home with, the fam came into Bethesda and we had a decent dinner at the Cafe Deluxe, a popular joint for the family set.  As soon as we got home, my son asked me if we had a footlocker.  He's doing a history project involving the personal effects of a WWII airman, I think.

Not only do I have one footlocker, I actually have two.  They are time capsules of sorts, as I used them to store stuff during the summers in college and then they became these vessels of deep dark storage for things that I never want to throw away, even though I probably should.  I figured the smaller of the two would suffice, and I knew it was in the attic.  After banishing the cats into one of the bedrooms so that they wouldn't patrol the attic and force me to wait for them take their cat time to come down, I retrieved the box o' memories.

And this is some of what I found:

A Turkish market caricature - great drawing in pen and ink by a Turkish cartoonist.

My 115 # wrestling warm-up jacket from the International School Manila.

My Zero-stat gun and record cleaner, to keep the vinyl groovin'.

A nice piece of pottery thrown by a very close friend of mine.

About a dozen Iron City Beer commemorative beer cans (I used to be an avid collector).

Superman meets Sgt. Rock comic book.

Superman vs Muhammad Ali comic book.

Spiderman comic book titled "The Day Gwen Stacey Died".  Chills up and down the spine.

My high school home and away baseball jerseys.

My weekend softball league jersey for the team that featured only young guns and two adults who happened to be black (It reads "Youth and Blood" under the number).

A plaque that commemorates Pittsburgh as "The City of Champions" since they won the World Series and the SuperBowl in '79.

A shoebox full of letters.  At least I didn't chuck that bit of personal history.

Various diplomas and certificates.  Boring.

A training diary from my respectable 1987 season and completely putrid 1988 season.

A STACK OF WINNING BICYCLE RACING ILLUSTRATED MAGS.  I especially saved the one with Marianne Berglund on the cover.  The rest of them focused on Lemond, Hampsten, Delgado, and Roche, as well as the trials and tribulations of 7-11.  Definitely cool reading looking back on it, since we had no idea that some teen upstart was waiting in the wings to completely change the sport in the ensuing decade.

That strenuous trip into the attic was about all I could take after 3+ weeks of training.  A day off to start the rest week and maybe I can even muster up the strength to dig through the other footlocker...

5 comments:

Frogman said...

I remember that Spiderman, the one with the Goblin holding Gwen Stacy's limp body on the GW Bridge as I had a visceral reaction to that episode. She was so hot...Oh the Humanity!

hfang said...

"My Zero-stat gun and record cleaner, to keep the vinyl groovin'."

Damn.. I remember that thing too! Brings backs the good old memories.. We're getting old aren't we. The kids these days would say what the heck is that? You don't need zapper for CD's... All you need is the antivirus for the songs you download.
I unloaded my turntable a long time ago when the CD players came out. The albums and turntable are probably still at my parents house.

Adam said...

You don't mind if we spray-paint "AVG" on the top of that thing, do you?

Frogman said...

Who is hotter - Blondie or Gwen Stacy? Discuss.
There's a tart in Judge Parker worthy of mention, but she's not well drawn. I hear Harry's got a crush on Mark Trail's girlfriend, but she's always so badly foreshortened :(

Kemal Tuncer said...

I'm sorry. 115 lbs? Do I read that right? I don't believe it!