Sunday, April 6, 2008

Punt!

As I sit here, I would have been warming up for the 40+ race at Tysons, hanging in there as long as possible, and then starting the Cat 4 race right afterward.  I love this race; it doesn't love me, as my previous experiences have resulted in disappointment.

As it turns out, the steady patter of rainfall on the roof and through the downspouts has crept into my psyche and as a result I am home, waiting for another day to race.  In my glory days I didn't think twice about racing in cold and wet conditions.  One of my most visceral memories is abandoning a 5 lap 50 mile road race on lap 4 because the downpour of cold rain and lack of feeling in my extremities jarred me enough to realize that this was just stupid.  The cold vinyl of my Toyota Corolla racemobile (with its distinct rusty La Prealpina roof rack) never felt so good.   Now I only accept these conditions for cyclocross based on the fact that speeds are lower and the inherent danger of pack riding is decreased significantly.

And that's what it comes down to:  fear.  Not of the pain of racing, but of the possibility of going down.  Some recent opinions of mine on sketchy group riding are fresh in my memory.  Gone are the days when I didn't think of it--now it's on my mind whenever I'm on a group ride or in a race.  Different age, different responsibilities, different body.  I'm not a Belgian style hard man, quite the opposite.  Pillsbury Doughboy come to mind, actually.  I can only admire those that gut it out in a pack for pride and minor swag.  I've run the risk/reward scenario and today it's much more rewarding to spend time with the fam...

Ironically, the racing is probably safer today than in dry conditions, as people tend to be more careful in the rain.  I won't be there to see it--good luck and safe riding to all who are there to live it.

5 comments:

JAA said...

I wasn't calling you out....just figured I wanted my friends to wallow in the wet misery w/ me ...

Harry got into good position in the race at final lap...I went to the outside and got caught as some guys went out / inside the cones and they were wobbling....I then starting picking up steam and saw a wall of riders w/ a small hole but felt if I went over there I'd cut the guy off just behind me...alas another guy behind us did that as he took the hole....got 20th - first crit in 20 yrs... ouch

Kemal Tuncer said...

He who hesitates...

JAA said...

He who hesitates can also finish safely sometimes.......

John(ny) said...

Or stays home--that's a guaranteed safe finish...

RayMan AKA StingRay said...

You didn't miss much racing in the rain. Although, I felt fine during the race, it was afterwards when I cooled down, standing around in my wet gear, that I realized how F'in miserable it was. I had an hour after the Cat 4 race before my second race in the 3/4. It was during this time that I began to shiver and realized I had dry jerseys and arm warmers in the car but no dry leggings or shorts. I was so cold, I couldn't get my mind around doing another race, so I got out of the wet stuff and watched the 3/4.