Saturday, April 5, 2008

Dyslexic intervals

In my previous post I mentioned how much I dread intervals.  Maybe this is why:

Earlier this week, on Wednesday, to be exact (after soccer practice), I looked at my program (that which I have cobbled together from many different sources) and hopped on the bike.  Without getting into specific power geek speak, I was to do two 6 minute intervals (high intensity) with 1 minute rest in between, spin for 10 minutes, and then do 6 1:00 on/1:00 off, spin for 5 minutes, and then 6 :30 on/:30 off, all intensities increasing in inverse proportion to length of interval.  Got that?  In other words, self flagellation.

After my dual 6 minute ridiculosities (I just made up that word) with the ample 1 minute rest in between, I looked at my program again and saw the error in my interpretation.  I was to do SIX two minute intervals with 1:00 off in between intervals.  I finished the middle set and called it a night after an hour.  I didn't care at that point, and I was pretty tired anyway.  

The rest of the week was supposed to be easy spinning, but I ended up picking up my parents at National Airport Thursday night, didn't get home until midnight, and tossed Friday night on the "day off the bike" heap as well.  An easy spin outdoors today with a couple of jumps and I'm ready for tomorrow.  In looking at my training log from last year I had about 30 hours in before the Tyson's Circuit Race--this year I've more than tripled that time on the bike in the same time period and it's been quality training in the time I have, if I don't say so myself.  Proof will be in the pudding.

Two other notables:  I am happy to be wrong that the Caps would miss the playoffs by a point.  That honor belongs to the Hurricanes, who get the door slammed shut on their season after CHOKING LIKE DOGS at home last night against their Florida rivals, who rolled over after putting up a decent fight against our playoff-bound Caps in the second period tonight.

Number 2:  Three years ago this weekend we went to Belgium for a week.  I chose this week because its significance in the pantheon of pro cycling's spring classic schedule:  Tour of Flanders on Sunday; Ghent Wevelgem on Wednesday; Paris-Roubaix next Sunday.  More on this trip in a future post--I'm digging up what I wrote after coming back and despite its cycling-centric nature it was quite a trip for me and my family.  Great memories.


No comments: