Thursday, April 17, 2008

Got 'em right where we want 'em

So contrary to my earth-shattering observations of two ex pro cyclists who now are self-aggrandizing and self-absorbed pitchmen for their various interests, I will now turn my attention to more important matters that occupy the next couple of months.

This is only meant for Kay.  I know you don't like hockey.  Just humor me here.

NHL playoffs.  The Kwest for the Kup.

As I write this the Caps are in the locker room at the Philly venue, feeling the sting of this overtime loss.  It didn't have to be this way--Ovie missed a sure goal as the puck was knuckling away from him, reminiscent of the yawing openness of the net by Essa Tikkanen during the '98 Cup run.  I remember screaming Essa! at the radio (no cable back then for me) and then again at the TV when I saw the replay.  That would surely have turned the Caps' Stanley Cup quest into a 4-1 series loss instead of 4-0.  The Wings were just that good that year.

But as they have entertained us with brilliant hockey under pressure during their last dozen games, when every game was a must-win, they are now in that same position with the Broad Street Bullies.  Three more game sevens, and they move on to the next round.

I've staked my claim.  Contrary to popular belief and wiser prognosticators, the Caps will pull this one out and take the next three from the Flyers.  Just watch.

OK Kay--I'm done with hockey.  For this entry.

7 comments:

hfang said...

I hope you're right!!! Go Caps!

RayMan AKA StingRay said...

I hate to say it, but the Caps don't have the grit to be able to duke it out with the Broad Street bullies.

John(ny) said...

But until the playoffs they played 11 out of 12 game sevens...I have this feeling...I also always predict a 16-0 season for the 'Skins, too, so take that for what it's worth.

Kemal Tuncer said...

I think it's time to turn your attention to the Nats, bro.

hfang said...

Kemal,
GoNats?

How about the Orioles! Go Orioles.
Haven't been to the new Nats Stadium yet.. I'm still an O's fan.

hfang said...

Hah.. you were right... Caps 3 Flyers 2. Good game today. Caps upped their game today. I hope they can keep it up.

Rode with Karim up to Sugarloaf. Good 90 miles of riding today at a low heart rate . (under 145 bpm for a good part of the ride. Legs are a bit sore though, I hope this wasn't too much effort for tomorrow.

Frogman said...

Caps got the Flyers right where they want 'em.

And don't train like me, either.

F