Saturday, December 15, 2007

Tale of 2 Nicks

Found myself at the Verizon Center again last night to watch the Caps drop a close one to the Sabres. Once again the largesse of my brother in law Bill allowed me the pleasure of feeling like I was a partial plan season ticket holder like I was back in the '90-'91 season. 3 games in 3 weeks.

As I perused the blogs of the local cycling talent last night I realized that the reason our own Nick M. (ex of BPVC) needs a vacation is because he was busy tallying a goal and an assist against the Buffalo squad (and playing under the "nickname" of Niklas Backstrom). See the resemblance? It often happens that one sees resemblances in people as we pass through our days--the mind's eye catalogs these resemblances and stores them for future reference, which create these synaptic connections that become the landscape of memories.

Or not, and the reader may say "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Frites?"




Anyway, a bunch of us met Nick when he joined us on the Sunday ride a couple of years ago and watched him ride past us on many an occasion. I saw his first win as a junior at Tyson's in 2006, and after that season DC Velo picked him up and he's been placing high and winning races since, including garnering incredible experience racing in Holland and Belgium during the past 2 summers. His accounts of racing in Europe are pretty intense. Yo Agent Mulder--take it easy on us old guys out on the road...

So keep on rolling Nick...you've got a bunch o' fans. Don't forget us.

No comments: