Monday, December 31, 2007

1 out of 2

It's been a busy week, and I think I will need to reconstruct it in a more thorough way in the next day or so, as I become more introspective in the last day of 2007, as is my sentimental modus operandi.

The last day of the NFL season is usually without import for us Redskins fans in the last twenty or so years, but this particular date was significant for these reasons:  we will read ad nauseum the story of the Skinnies' incredible comeback in the last 4 games of the season to secure the last playoff spot, but it is so much sweeter having done so by drubbing the hated 'Boys from Dallas in this last match.  The other memorable part of this day is that my brother in law who has season tix to the Ravens was out of town so he gave today's tickets to me so that I could watch my other fave team, the Steelers.  These were great seats, especially given tonight's murky weather, as we were under the upper deck overhang.

I'm not a Ravens fan, despite the fact that they're my home state team and the only one to sport the state crest in their logo (very cool).  As a Skins/Steelers fan I'm definitely out of my element in the environs of M&T Stadium.  In fact, when I went to a Ravens game 7 years ago in which they came back and defeated the Jags in an incredible comeback, the victory chant was "Redskins Suck!"  A little insecurity from the Charm City?

It just so happens that my 9 y.o. daughter is a solid Stee's fan, and this was the opportunity to show her a real NFL game, warts and all.  Knowing that the behavior of drunk fans is always a reason NOT to take kids to pro games is something that I considered for about three seconds...I figured she would gain much from seeing such lunacy to learn what not to do in public.  Despite the odd f-bomb and a-hole here and there the crowd was not too bad, though quite intense, especially since about 1 in 4 fans were sporting the Black and Gold and waving Terrible Towels.  My girl proudly wore her #43 Polamalu jersey under her coat, tentative about demonstrating her true allegiance in the hostile crowd. 

Ravens won by 6, though the Steelers made it exciting in the 4th quarter.  By then we were demonstrating our zeal for the Steelers, along with a few friendly Pennsylvanians.  The interception that sealed B-more's win sent us shuffling out in the sucker's walk, taunts (Na na na na Na na na na Hey hey hey Goodbye) cascading upon us.  I think my daughter learned a thing or two about divisional rivalry sprinkled with ugly scenes here and there (two fights and ejections in our section), as well as good natured teasing among strangers.  We made sure to remind the Baltimore faithful that their squad will be home next week twiddling their thumbs...

Which leads me to the highlight of the game.  One of Baltimore's finest came up into our section to look (ostensibly) for some hooligans.  Locals were buoyed by his presence, hoping he would collar some Pittsburgh fan and send him on his way.  When prompted to do so by the crowd, this Baltimore P.D. officer turned, smiled, and said "I'm from Pittsburgh.  GO STEEELERS!"  With that comment, he borrowed a Terrible Towel and gave it a whirl, much to the howling chagrin of the locals.  They weren't happy, and they let the cop know it.

Now that's no way to treat our law enforcement officials.  How 'bout some respect?

No comments: