Thursday, December 6, 2007

Fish tacos

I discovered these incredibly tasty treats about 10 years ago. By far one of my favorite foods. I had read about this culinary delight that developed in the streets of San Diego, melding the fried fish with the corn tortillas and the tangy cabbage and crema, the latter two being distinctly Central American/Mexican influences. Anyway, this platonic food quadfecta stayed in the upper recesses of my mind as an ideal to achieve until I actually had one...at Baja Fresh. Good, but not quite the excellence that I had expected. The quest then began, and I eat fish tacos whenever I see them on any menu, so Austin Grill, McCormick & Schmick's, California Tortilla, and various others make their own versions, all of which are fine in their own ways. The best I've ever had, and this does not take into account any West Coast joints, since I haven't spent enough time out there, is this little place in Arlington (and Alexandria) called Taqueria Poblano.

Dem fish tacos are outta hand.

I usually stop over there if I have a site visit or a meeting in Arlington. I was there today with Elvie from work since we measured this new project in Rosslyn. Once again the fish tacos did not disappoint. The crispy beef (L.A. style) were also solid. I would be remiss, however, if I did not recognize the originator of this thought, this entry from The Wrob's blog, referencing a taco emporium out west that I will someday, with all solemnity and reverence, visit.

Skins are up 14-10, knockin' on the door in the 4th quarter to extend that lead.......

1 comment:

Adam said...

You really are obsessed with fish tacos, aren't you?
Adam