Thursday, December 4, 2008

Shapers

Here's an opportunity that I don't indulge too often..a little bit of appreciation for the mentors in my life.  I'm amazed at how much I learn about other people and ultimately myself just by watching how they do things and how they react to the daily grind.  What they say or don't say, how they react, how they lead, how they follow, and how they communicate.  There's no magic bullet here--I guess it's how I receive their leadership or choose how to listen to them.  

Since most of what I get paid to do relies on graphic communication, I've spent the last few weeks and especially the last couple of days honing my craft of conveying the details of how the skin of a building cloaks its frame.  Mundane stuff, to be sure, but the personality of the designer is often transmitted through the steel, concrete, bricks, and mortar in ways that are amazingly subtle.  Buildings can speak volumes, especially if they're well-conceived, efficiently executed, and contextually solid.

We are who we are by the way the people around us affect how we change our own lives.  On a daily basis, that makes for some pretty rich livin'. 

No comments: