Friday, December 19, 2008

Green thoughts

Earlier today, driving back from a meeting in Elkridge MD with one of my co-workers, we were discussing non-business stuff as it's as good a time as any to get to know people better, especially those you spend 40 hours a week with.  Somehow the conversation turned to '80's music, specifically the Smithereens, a late '80's/'90's formulaic garage style group that cranked out AOR radio fodder (is that repetitive?).  I saw them at the Fairfax County Fair in 1991, and missed them at the Herndon Fair last year.  No matter; see them once, and that's all you need to see, though they were definitely solid.  And grim, too, in their lyrics about relationships and memories.  And Pat DiNizio--check out the Mavic cap.





Their album Green Thoughts is in heavy rotation in my playlist even now, as a 43 year old guy who tries to see the approach of the latter years through the eyes of a 23 year old...music has that way of staving off the inevitable ageing process.  The title song is all about envy, an emotion that I would say is my Achilles Heel.  There's something about that insecurity of greed that highlights many memories of life, as bad memories can stand out as boldly as good ones.  It's always a puzzle to me as to why jealousy exists when I'm, simply stated, a pretty satisfied person.  But it's there, as green thoughts that cloud my judgement and color my views from day to day, without pattern. 

Don't know how or why, just it's there every once in a while...

//Green thoughts come around
every now and then
When they bring you down
Run away while you still can//

Great song, especially the harmony on the the last chorus.

No comments: