Monday, December 8, 2008

Affirmation, baby!

Monday night football is on, and as I watch the talkers go on and on, I think back to the days when Tony Kornheiser's radio show was at its best, when the listeners riffed on whatever was on TK's mind that day.  One of the best examples of this was when he mocked Stuart Scott's unflappingly self-aggrandizing story of playing pick-up ball with none other than Michael Jordan.  After dishing MJ a (so says Stu) sweet assist, Jordan points at Stu as they go back up court, acknowledging the play.  To which Stu Scott says "Affirmation, baby!"  This became fertile ground for endless humorous mockery, as the more talented listeners to TK's show riffed on this one for weeks on end, finding ways to crow "affirmation, baby" any way they could.  So much so that some dude started a Tony fanboy blog with this title.

I guess we do this blog thing to feed that part of our yearning, to be recognized by others, especially those more skilled than we are , in our particular endeavor.  In my own egomaniacal way I had an affirmation baby moment when I received mention in this guy's blog, an incredibly prolific writer and relentless rider, a dude who captures the visceral nature of racing, training, and the camaraderie that accompanies it in prose that flows.  

In his description of the cyclocross scene, I'm one of the many he thanks for making his season a memorable experience.  Life got in the way yesterday, preventing me from getting out to Reston for my second favorite race of the 'cross calendar.  I made a donation to the cause with my entry fee, but my new kitchen and dining room needed to be cloaked with 3 colors.  It looks great.

Glad to be a part of that bigger picture, Jim.  It's been a pleasure seeing you out there, so keep on keepin' on and we'll see you on Super Sunday in College Park for the last gasp of this 2008 season.




No comments: