Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bombs away

I'm glad I don't feel the need to be tethered to office e-mail.  The constant use of handheld devices to access e-mail, while very much a part of our lives today, is one thing I feel the need to rail against, should anyone care to listen.

If I had read the bomb in my in-box moments after it was sent, I would have been a basket case all weekend.  It was sent on Friday morning, Day 2 of the National Eating and Shopping Weekend of Excess (US NESWE, for those keeping track at home).  My naps throughout this special holiday would not have been so fruitful.

As it turned out, I read it on Monday morning.  The net effect was an increase in my already high heartrate, since the first day after any relaxing long weekend is stressful in itself.  Set the tone for the day.  Much angst was expended in anticipation of resolving this small situation, which essentially was well-placed criticism of some drawings that didn't quite meet the expectations of the client. 

The resulting meeting that I had today regarding said e-mail was surprisingly pleasant and cooperative, once again corroborating my thoughts that electronic correspondence written in haste does nothing to lubricate the wheels of communication, rather has a negative effect, even though this is not always intended.

Just goes to show that a new day is just a turn of the page, and always a chance to start fresh.  Things are never as bad as they seem, especially after a nice snooze.

At least I didn't accidentally shoot myself in the leg at a nightclub, like this guy.

No comments: