Monday, January 12, 2009

Permit service

A current misnomer in my business is the term "permit expediter".  By hiring a company which purports to "expedite" building permits, one would think that there is a secret passageway through the horrific caverns of municipal building departments that is only known to the expediter.  Paying the fee will unlock the secrets and illuminate the path, and projects with such benefits will have their ticket stamped so contractors can then build them.  

For financiers of affordable housing projects in a shaky economy, building permits are proof that the borrower is in a position to make good on their commitments to spend the lenders' money.  No building permit = no financial closing = no project = I don't get paid.  So it's in my best interest to make sure those permits happen.

Based on my experiences of the last 10-12 months, however, I have determined that expediters should change their description of their work to "permit babysitting", or the more proper business usage of "permit service", as they fill out forms, stand in lines, and monitor progress.  That's about all they can do, as cajoling reviewers to move their piles along is as effective as pushing on a rope.  Some are better than others, and some are less ethical than others, and some are outright liars.  Their business is based on trafficking speculation of when other people beyond their locus of control will finish their work.  It's a step short of insanity.

Despite these shortcomings, we're at the tail end of a permit process that is on the cusp of being successful.  It's been an amazing pain in the ass, and one that is making me re-think how we do business with these regulatory agencies.  Talking clients down from ledges is not my idea of fun, as millions of bucks hang in the balance when Jack Permit Reviewer lets things pile up and the Public Space fiefdom doesn't agree with approvals from the water authority who insists on looking at drawings only on the third Tuesday of a month with 27 or less days in it...unless you happen to be Nationals Stadium, and the whole building department flops like Willie Stargell trying to steal second base.  No problems getting a permit there.

But I ramble on because I received quite a shock today on a job whose permit I'm monitoring through a development company that offers permit services (not expediting).  When I called to speak with my main contact there, an older dude who I've worked with the past 4 years, I expected the usual bantering and exchange of Christmas and New Years good wishes.  He was always interesting to speak with because he answered questions with questions and had a particular cadence and tone of voice that reminded me of what a real life Jedi would be like.  I got used to his style after awhile and we established a good working relationship.

I am referring to him in the past tense because when I asked to speak with him the receptionist said:  "I'm sorry, he's deceased."   WHHAAT?? I asked why, how, when, etc.  Didn't get much info, spoke with his associate who is handling my project, and didn't really care about the project at that point.  He was an older guy, private, had a family, and just got sick and never got well.  He died sometime in mid-December.

Rest in peace, Carl.  

No comments: