Monday, June 23, 2008

"Vacation"

Unless I leave town, I truly can't get away from work.  I took the week off as the kids enter their second full week of summer vacation, the first being a luxurious week at the Grandparents' Resort.  Now they're stuck with dad, who is trying to separate the work/pleasure realms in a way that makes this time off worth it.

Not easy for a control freak like me, especially when several projects in the office are in critical stages.

So far, no calls in and I've resisted the urge to call in myself.  Instead, the kids and I have designed a structure to be built in the backyard this week.  Not a standard playhouse or wooden fort--this will feature some architectural embellishments (aka mistakes) that will make it unique since we are, after all, designing it as we go.  Keeping it modular to reduce cuts and waste, it's an exercise in base 12 math, since all of our sheet lumber here in the USA breaks on a 4" increment.  Framing lumber?  Well that's another story... 

As my wife said, done is better than perfect.  If all goes according to plan, we'll be done at the end of the week, one section at a time each day.  

Today is the first floor deck... 




No comments: