Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dutch treat

Not much time on the bike lately.  The pattern has been consistent 400 mile months from October through April, only to tail off dramatically between May and September.  An inverse proportion based on commitments that don't center around Eddy or the RX1 or my converted Cadex fixie or the Look hanging in the garage or the Stumpjumper in pieces...too many bikes, not enough time.

Day 2 of vacation, thusly:  A trip to the doctor to get an outer ear infection diagnosis for my son, coupled with a Home Depot excursion to show my daughter how to pick lumber (old hat for the boy, but he's along for the ride, painful ear and all).  Fill up the van, cinch the plywood to the top, and off we go to lay the deck...












Build walls...












Erect them...












And sit on the loft...














Tomorrow, the rest of the walls and maybe even the roof.  A major design decision moment hit me today when, depressed at the thought of schlepping ugly T-111 plywood to sheath this thing, rendering it to look like a garden shed gone awry, I went all Dutch and decided to pull a De Stijl/Mondrian move on this thing since it's supposed to be "playful" anyway.  This also saves my back because 1/4" plywood is a lot lighter than anything 2.5 times thicker.  We're not at that stage yet.

Note to Hairy Eric:  If you are reading this, that's why I wasn't on the Thrasher ride today.  One day I will join you briefly, as I will be duly dropped lest I get off the current weekend warrior cycle.  Only 3 more months 'til CX season...

No comments: