Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Good luck charm

Her head was adorned with peach fuzz, and since she’s a "hot sleeper", her little chrome dome warmed my cheek as I listened on the radio as the Caps beat the Sabres to move on to the Stanley Cup Finals in May of 1998. She was my good luck charm, parked on my chest, snoozing while I fretted, no bigger than a large loaf of bread.

Now she is tall and athletic, long blond hair, and a quick wit. She knows EXACTLY how to bother her brother, as all little sisters do so proficiently. She wears her Backstrom t-shirt when the Caps games are on and understands the game unlike many her age. Last time the Caps won a playoff series, she was portable. Now she scoots around the neighborhood to hang with her friends, she closes gaps on the soccer field with astonishing speed, and elementary school is almost in her rear view mirror.

Caps are up 2-0 against the Pen-goons. She may not watch all the games with me, but when she does, they tend to win. Coincidence? I think not.

No comments: