Thursday, October 8, 2009

Revenge flicks

I've always been fascinated by the vengeance narrative in the movies. I guess it's a deep-seated emotion that is shared by many, probably formed way back when by experiences with who knows who. One thing that K and I don't share is a love of cinema - earlier in our marriage, every once in awhile I would go to the movies with some friends or by myself, knowing that her time was much better spent with books, as she is a voracious reader. There's a lot more control with books, she reasons, as you can skip uncomfortable parts or just put them down altogether.

A few years ago I saw Breakdown --it was one of those flicks that had improbable action scenes interwoven with extreme tension and the yearning for justice to be meted to the antagonists, with extreme prejudice. Very satisfying, in a primal way. Since then and before then there have been great revenge flicks that far exceed that one in quality, but for some reason that one really stood out, as some of the hillbillies who ran amok reminded me of some of the not so nice folk who populate the road on 4 wheels while I'm on 2.

I just saw the preview for this one. I think we all have the desire to, sometime in life, pull the strings of fate like this guy does.

4 comments:

Uncle Louie said...

Hedabuta hedabuta. Uncle Louie still lives. Poke thatlittle blond guy in the back and he'll jump a mile high. Still shaving your legs Johnny? Guess who (hint: it is not Bill Muse). It is Skip - no wait, I lied. It's also not the guy in the stinky Bowl America shirt. I'd give you a call but Peaches keeps jogging the phone!

John(ny) said...

Bunster!?!

Uncle Louie said...

Hedabuta hedabuta. You are amazing. I can't believe you got it with your first guess. Actually, it's Skip again. I'm lying and you did not guess correctly but I understand why you may have believed it was "The Bun" at work. He has a pretty good sense of humor and could also make the blond guy jump when he squealed like a pig. I'll give you another hint. Nicaragua, 1979. Ambushed. The loss of a valuable asset that requires me to wear jumpsuits. With my wardrobe I should have played Francis in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. No, I'm not Alfred Linton, but if you really use your brain I may be able to teach you something.

John(ny) said...

Check my next post, boys.