Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Getting back to regular

It's been a weird winter, and my significant level of inactivity, coupled with the turbulence that determines whether or not we will all be gainfully employed in the near future has created a Twilight Zone effect not felt since...I'm not quite sure.

Since 2003, I "got regular" again by getting back on my bike consistently, shedding close to 40 lbs (I really let go and ventured into tub of goo-hood for about a decade), and letting those endorphins course their way through. Since I'm "all or nothing" in my approach to living, the intensities of riding, training, and sometimes racing burned brightly for a few years and fizzled out in the late fall of last year. I haven't ridden much at all since late November, not even on this hampster wheel machine or that one.

One wonders why these things happen, but it's pretty easy to see how this motivation waned. A kitchen renovation, busy Christmas season, a bathroom renovation, crappy weather, and oh yeah the current global financial situation which is threatening many a livelihood like the sword of Damocles tends to put an exercise and lifestyle activity on the backburner. Certainly the opposite would have a beneficial effect, but it's an inertia that I haven't been able to (wanted to?) overcome lately.

To put it in perspective, a recent issue of Bicycling mag reviewed the latest Eddy, a real beauty that was all tricked out with Campy Super Record and and and. After getting through all the flowery bike review language (which can easily, with few changes, be substituted with restaurant review prose and no one would be the wiser), the price of the machine is revealed. A staggering $12,500. I don't often guffaw loudly, but this was an exception. I love me my bikes, especially my own Eddy, but not 12.5K worth. I could buy a small team's worth for that price. Not gonna happen.

Anywho, I'm getting the itch to ride again, and it's no coincidence that the days are getting warmer and the sun is staying out longer, especially after daylight savings kicks in this weekend. So maybe I can actually reverse the trend of muscular atrophy and pear-shapedness and get back out on the road with my friends, comrades, and countrymen. Spring is right around the corner.

2 comments:

Frogman said...

Spring may as well be here as after this chillin' winter anyday that water melts is fair game to ride.
Well, at least in the 50's is nice...
So the Sunday Ride was in force and apparently you missed my call of "WWM?", but I did 50 miles for 2009 Ride #4 and I tell you there's something pleasurable about putting out all you got, even if it's just a pathetic shadow of your presumed former self, to go out and ride and come home with nothing but a pair of screaming, cramping quads asking you "Why?"
At the end of the day with your low hanging fruit the rubber hits the road running and you realize it's in our nature.
See you on the road...

Frogman

hfang said...

You just have to lay off all of those breakfasts at the Tastee Diner. See you out there some time.